Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Defining Success, Defining Me

Define what success means to you, then do it. - Ralph Marston

This quote appeared in my timeline on Twitter early Saturday morning. Ever since, the words have danced across my mind in a melody that plays over and over. Not in an annoying way like half of the crap that comes on the radio these days. More like a harmonized dance in my brain. Like the thought was supposed to be there all along but just found its beat. The idea of success intrigues me. I mean, who doesn't want to be successful? (cue Drake....actually, don't)But I realized, when faced with the task of putting together a string of words, strung together to have meaning to me, I'm stuck. What the deuce is MY definition of success???

For some, success means the cars, the house, the Louis bag, and all the accoutrements that we're led to believe are the meaning of success. Well, I could really care less about a car unless it drives, is clean, and has 4 doors - regardless make, model, or appearance in a music video. While owning a home is supposed to be the apex of the American Dream, it screams MONEY PIT NIGHTMARE to me -not my idea of success. And the Louis bag....shit, who am I kidding. I'll take it. But is that success??

I know some who would define success by hubby, 2.5 kids, dog and picket fence. I'm allergic to dogs, and don't have any of the other stuff, but does that mean that success is not for me? Is success climbing the corporate ladder?? Eh...what happens once you reach the top of the ladder?? Do you hang on in the same spot? Do you let go and fall? Either option doesn't sound like success to me.

I'm supposed to have the answers at this point in my life. But I don't. I'm supposed to have carved a path and be content on the journey, right?? But where does success fall on this journey?? Is success the destination or just a bump in the road??

Sure I want the hubby, the kids (yes, I actually do) but what if it doesn't happen. Does that make me unsuccessful, a failure? Could this be the root of my lack of definition? The fear of failure?

When I close my eyes and think about success, I see myself smiling. I'm happy. I'm at peace. I'm loved. That's how I see success. But how do I get there or what brings me to that point? I'm not so sure. But I'm willing to take the journey, no matter where it takes me as long as the end result brings me what I see when I close my eyes.

I guess that's my definition of success. Well, at least a working one. For now. Subject to change like a new melody dancing across my mind.

No comments: